Built in 1872 by James Alexander Jackson, a Liverpool cotton merchant; Thurnby Court was certainly one of Leicestershire’s finest country houses. The house cost an astounding £250,000 to build (about £18.3 million in today’s money) and was lavishly decorated throughout with painted ceilings and murals by Italian artists. It even had its own gasworks!
The Jackson family lived at Thurnby Court for just over 20 years. Reportedly the cost of building the house ruined its owner. The property then stood empty until it was bought by a Mr Heath for a meagre £6000 (£440,000 in today’s money). It was demolished in 1916 using dynamite. The land has since been used for housing.
We will be posting a more in-depth article on Thurnby Court soon. Please subscribe to The Leicester Chronicle via email (located at the top right of the site) or follow our page on Facebook to keep updated.