The quaint church of St. James in Drayton is the smallest church in Leicestershire. It is also probably the only church in the county to have been used as bakehouse, a function it served for more than a hundred years.
The Watson family of nearby Rockingham Castle paid for its restoration as a church and it was reconsecrated in 1879.
It stands on the village green, a tiny single-cell building little more than 20 ft long and 12ft wide, serving a population of less than two hundred. Inside the church there is seating capacity for approximately 20 people. The church has a single exterior bell.
This miniature church was originally built as a “chapel of ease’ a place of worship for those parishioners who lived too far from their parish church, in this case Bringhurst, just over a mile away.
St. James’ church does not have a licence for conducting marriage services. This means that a special licence would have to be applied for before a (small) wedding could be held in church.
The small church was listed as being Grade II on 7 December 1966.